Background

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Saving Second Base.


Some people are born with the ability to run, and others the ability to train, either way...eventually, you become a RUNNER. And that, is a big deal. Being 20 years old, 120lbs, & 5'2" DOES NOT translate into a runner. I have learned to admire those who consitently excercise. Several months ago, I got the absurd idea to start "running" on a weekly basis. And by "running" I mean walking, with a bounce. My legs are the length of your average 7 year old, which means any average adult can literally walk my running speed. Regardless, I was making an effort. A co-worker and I decided to set a goal.....the Boise:Susan Komen's Race for the Cure-5K was exactly 2 months out, and we were sure we would be ready.

I soon realized I was completely out of my mind. I started running as much as I could & eating a lot healthier. Having two jobs, and being gone from 8am to 10pm, made it extermely difficult to eat healthy. Surprisingly, I stuck to it. Running 1/4 of a mile would literally make me want to cry...The first time i ran a consistent mile, without walking, crying, or cursing, was huge accomplishment. It became motivation. I wanted to see how far I could go. By no means was it entertaining, but it made made me feel amazing. There were a few mornings I'd wake up before work, and go run in the morning. For those of you that know me, know that sleeping is something I take very seriously. To wake up earlier than normal to RUN, was the first sign that I had literally lost my mind.

Race for the Cure was almost near, as my best friend Shannon was running with me. Both of us have dear people close to us who have been affected by Cancer. To run for a cause, made it all the more worth it. The big day came, and I had never been more nervous, but excited. There was PINK everywhere! People, everywhere! To run the race with my best friend was an amazing experience. And the fact that we ran the entire way, and crossed the finish line...((NOT in last place)) made all the gross food and horrible sore muscles worth it. Yes, I understand I'm bragging about 3.1 miles, however like I said, I AM NOT A RUNNER. So for all of you that are, You are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment